Group #2--Psalm 31 through 50

"I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy: for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities." Psalm 31:7

There is comfort in knowing that God sees our trouble and stress.

"Oh how great is thy goodness, which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee; which thou hast wrought for them that trust in thee before the sons of men! Thou shalt hide them in the secret of thy presence from the pride of man: thou shalt keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues." Psalm 31:19-20

To think that God stores up goodness for us...

"Therefore let everyone who is godly offer prayer to you at a time when you may be found; surely in the rush of great waters, they shall not reach him." Psalm 32:6

There is a time during which God can be found which means there is also a time when it may be too late.

"The LORD says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you." Genesis 32:8

"...but he that trusteth in the LORD, mercy shall compass him about." Psalm 32: 10

"Praise befits the upright." Psalm 33:1 ESV

The rhythms of life are a gift:

"When the LORD smelled the pleasing aroma, He said in His heart, “Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though every inclination of his heart is evil from his youth. And never again will I destroy all living creatures as I have done.

As long as the earth endures,
seedtime and harvest,
cold and heat,
summer and winter,
day and night
shall never cease.”

Genesis 8:21-22

They either point to or from the Lord.  God's either in His Heaven and all is right or not.

"that's part of loving someone--you love them in hard ways." -Grace

"...for praise is comely for the upright." Psalm 33:11 KJ

"The counsel of the LORD stands forever, the plans of his heart to all generations." Ps 33:11

"...he who fashions the hearts of them all and observes all their deeds." Ps 33:15

"Behold, the eye of the LORD is on those who fear him, on those who hope in his steadfast love." Ps 33:18

"The young lions suffer want and hunger; but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing." Ps 34:10

"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." Ps 34:14 KJ

"Turn away from evil and do good. Search for peace, and work to maintain it." Ps 34:14 NLT

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed." Ps 34:18

"Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all." Ps 34:19

"For they do not speak peace, but against those who are quiet in the land they devise words of deceit." Ps 35:20

David knew that there were people who were against him in injustice.  He didn't shirk from praying he would be vindicated against them.  He knew the boundaries and who was wrong/out of line.  I admire his moral clarity in this regard.

"Vindicate me, O LORD, my God, according to your righteousness, and let them not rejoice over me!" Psalm 35:24

"Let them be clothed with shame and dishonour that magnify themselves against me." Ps 35:26

Listening to Brooklyn Tabernacle's song based on Psalm 34---it encourages all to "magnify the Lord, bless His name forever."  Eyes on Him.  Eyes on Him.

"O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together." Ps 34:3

"I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth." Ps 34:1

"O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him." Psalm 34:8

I have always thought this "taste and see" odd.  Think it's on my parent's gravestone thanks to Kathy.  She viewed my dad as a person who enjoyed food and earthly pleasures I guess.  I think that was her reasoning.  What I get out of it is "trust in God."  It's on our currency.  It should be written on and in our hearts. He not only gives us good things, but he himself is a good pleasure.

(1) There is no praise without concentration of soul.
(2) Distracting forces are rife. -Biblical Illustrator on Ps 34

"It is social. The true worshipper becomes magnetic; he draws others to the shrine before which he falls." -BI

Comments