Finishing the Year with the Psalms, Batch #1 Psalms 1-30

I bailed on Allistair Begg--just needed to get back to the Word, period.  There is value in listening to preachers, but I don't want to move too far from the primary text. So, to end 2019, I've decided to read 7 psalms a day and started this two or three days ago.

It's been a blur--our Boston Terrier is terminally ill, and I'm not sleeping well.

All that to say, I realized this morning that I need the physical structure of the blog to hold my thoughts and keep them on track.  Today I'm picking up with psalm 18.

"...with the pure thou wilt shew thyself pure; and with the froward thou wilt shew thyself froward." Psalm 18: 26 KJ

"...with the purified you show yourself pure; and with the crooked you make yourself seem tortuous." Psalm 18: 26 ESV

"The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever." Psalm 19:9

Psalms 20 and 21 war psalms.

 "Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns." Psalm 22:21 KJ

Unicorns?  In the Bible?  huh.  Translates to wild ox or bull in other versions...

"I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee." Psalm 22:22

Public praise is a good thing. King David thought so.

"For he has not ignored or belittled the suffering of the needy. He has not turned his back on them, but has listened to their cries for help." Psalm 22:24 

I remember making a visual of this verse, and it being on my mom's bedroom wall when Kathy was caring for her. Though we suffer, He listens and is faithful.

 "He restores my soul." -Psalm 23:3

Ah, the word restore.  And to restore one's soul.

"Who shall ascend the hill of the LORD? And who shall stand in his holy place?
"He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false and does not swear deceitfully." -Psalm 24:3-4

"All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies." Psalm 25:10

All the paths.....not most, not many.

"Remember, O LORD, thy tender mercies and thy lovingkindnesses; for they have been ever of old." -Psalm 22:6

ever of old...duration and time...

"O LORD, I love the habitation of your house and the place where your glory dwells." -Psalm 26:8

"One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple." Psalm 27:4

"Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart." -Psalm 27:24

"Hear the voice of my supplications, when I cry unto thee, when I lift up my hands toward thy holy oracle." -Psalm 28:2

What exactly is a supplication?  A plea?  I feel like we've lost this concept.  Lifting up hands when he cries unto him---emotion and gestures in prayer.  What is an oracle exactly?  Interesting word that makes me think of pagan worship.

"The voice of the LORD is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the LORD is upon many waters." Psalm 29:3

The imagery of "the voice of the Lord" dominates Psalm 29.  This verse reminds me of Genesis 1:2:

"And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters."

There is something about the Spirit of God and water.  I've always been drawn to water which brings life, recreation, mystery, danger, peace, meditation, contemplation, a sense of permanence in change.

"The voice of the LORD maketh the hinds to calve, and discovereth the forests: and in his temple doth every one speak of his glory." Psalm 29:9 KJ

"The voice of the LORD twists mighty oaks and strips the forests bare. In his Temple everyone shouts, “Glory!”" Psalm 29:9 NLT

The storm imagery seems more in keeping with this psalm--the mention of the Lord inspiring birth is intriguing.

"The LORD sitteth upon the flood; yea, the LORD sitteth King for ever." Psalm 29:10

"For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning." Psalm 30:5

Night can be a hard time---literally and figuratively.  This resonates with me as we walk our terminally ill dog through rough nights.  She is better as the morning goes on.

"Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness; To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever." Psalm 30:11-12

God blesses so that we may praise?


God values praise.

Comments