Tracking time and place--Exodus

I've spent most of the last month working my way through Exodus via Jack Abeelen's Wednesday night series.  After loving his series on Genesis and experiencing such rich insights, Exodus has been a bit of a let down.  Why?  Not sure.  Is it the longer trajectory and story arc of Moses, the disappointing nature of the people?  Yes. Aspects of Moses used to resonate with me intuitively--primarily his hesitancy and anger.  This time through, I found myself distracted, covering familiar ground without caring very much.  The details of the delays, the people's shortsightedness all seemed too familiar.

And what's with all the fuss about the tabernacle itself?  Why spend so much time establishing the ritual of worship?  Yes, to teach the people I hear him say.  But, this type of distraction with the physical consumes too much, too many.  God needs to be worshiped.  We don't intuitively understand that.  The tabernacle was a tool for that.  I suppose I understand. But not really.

I find myself in a very dark and negative place with my Bible reading lately.  Not sure why.  Not sure I need to know why.  Lord, help me to get back to the text and to experience You.

Comments