Mom Reads Proverbs 8

Hello,

Wisdom is personified as a woman calling out in the streets, 

"To you, O men, I call, and my cry is to the children of man. O simple ones, learn prudence; O fools, learn sense. Hear, for I will speak noble things, and from my lips will come what is right." -Proverbs 8:3-6

This is a complicated little chapter--lots of significant bits and pieces--worth taking time to read.  In it, we learn several useful things about "Wisdom."  

*Wisdom was present when the world was created"
“The LORD possessed me at the beginning of his work, the first of his acts of old. Ages ago I was set up, at the first, before the beginning of the earth.  Proverbs 8:22-23

*Wisdom is forthright.  In contrast to the "adulteress," she declares the truth publicly and openly: "All the words of my mouth are righteous; there is nothing twisted or crooked in them. They are all straight to him who understands."Proverbs 8:8-9 

*Having wisdom is superior to having wealth: "Take my instruction instead of silver, and knowledge rather than choice gold, for wisdom is better than jewels, and all that you may desire cannot compare with her." -Proverbs 8:10-11

*Wisdom grants her own type of wealth: "Riches and honor are with me, enduring wealth and righteousness...granting an inheritance to those who love me, and filling their treasuries." Proverbs 8:18, 21 

I particularly like "enduring wealth and righteousness" in contrast to the ephemeral wealth of this world.

xoxo

Mom


Comments