Mom Reads Proverbs 15

Hello,

I missed yesterday, so you'll get two proverbs today. This precept about dealing with angry people is practical and true:

"A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverbs 15:1

Notice that it's a gentle answer that's key. I imagine the context as someone who is unsettled in their own spirit who chooses to "poke" at another with a question, demand, or accusation. The angry person's unspoken hope is to draw the other into their angry whirl, that they might provoke a negative response, further justifying their anger and giving them greater reason to lash out.

My gut desire is to swipe back. But, the best response is the opposite--pull back, don't engage, come back soft against their hard. Don't allow another person's actions to dictate the character and tenor of your own.

Jesus talked about this principle too:

"...if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well." Matthew 5:41

Admittedly, I don't fully understand it. I only know that when I've chosen to operate by it, things go better than when I don't.

Angry people are no fun to deal with either way of course. But "the principle of soft" at least mitigates the damage to yourself and others.

xoxo

Mom


Comments