Psalm 55

"And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest.
Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Selah.
I would hasten my escape from the windy storm and tempest."  -Psalm 55:6-8

"We are all too apt to utter this vain desire, for vain it is; no wings of doves or eagles could bear us away from the sorrows of a trembling heart. Inward grief knows nothing of place. Moreover, it is cowardly to shun the battle which God would have us fight. We had better face the danger, for we have no armour for our backs. He had need of a swifter conveyance than doves' pinions who would outfly slander; he may be at rest who does not fly, but commends his case to his God. Even the dove of old found no rest till she returned to her ark, and we amid all our sorrow may find rest in Jesus. We need not depart; all will be well if we trust in him." -Spurgeon

The desire to flee and find shelter is a deep abiding one, woven through all cultures.  This morning I was thinking about how David must have had intense mental agony fleeing from his son.  What must it feel like to have your own child hunt you down?

And I like the way that Spurgeon eloquently determines that there is no running from trouble, only running TO God.

Often it's the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge cross-references that broaden my understanding the most. Here are some relevant to place, fleeing, and our proximity to God:

Am I a God at hand, saith the LORD, and not a God afar off? 
Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD.  Jeremiah 23:23-24

Then were the men exceedingly afraid, and said unto him, Why hast thou done this? For the men knew that he fled from the presence of the LORD, because he had told them. Jonah 1:10

Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? 
If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. 
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; 
Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. Psalm 139:7-10






Comments