Psalm 3





















Psalm 3 finds David fleeing from Absalom, his son.

How did God's favored king end up in such a  position?  It's a big wandering question which I'll leave untouched for now.  This morning, I appreciate more the solid volley, the echo, of David's faith in the Lord:

"Many there be which say of my soul, `There is no help for him in God'.....But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me" (v3)
"I cried....He heard" (v4)
"I slept...I awakened, for the Lord sustained me (v5)

There is a beautiful rhythm, a give and take, to David's walk with God.  

In the best of circumstances, sleeping and waking is a small act of faith each evening, a giving over of our will to the demands of our bodies, a concession to our limitations. As His creation, we do ourselves harm when we ignore these natural rhythms and push ourselves beyond them.

When under great emotional distress, as David was, I'm sure sleep felt like a vulnerability more than a restoration or comfort, "I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about." (v 6).  Sleeping amid thousands of physical literal enemies, including your own son--a tough marching order for anyone.

When David declares his intention to trust, "I will not be afraid," he wills his soul to be at peace, to rely on the Watchman, the Lifter of his head.  We would do well to do the same.

Comments