Isaiah, Week 9, Days 1 & 2 Isaiah 41-42

Day One: Read Isaiah 41

 1. What are the two "Who" questions in verses 1-7 and what is the answer? Give verse.

Isa 41:4  Who has performed and done this, calling the generations from the beginning? I, the LORD, the first, and with the last; I am he.

Who stirred up one from the east whom victory meets at every step? v 2

Who called the generations from the beginning? v 4

 2. In verses 8-20 what does God call Israel? Jacob? Abraham?

Israel--my servant
Jacob--whom I have chosen, worm (14)
Abraham--my friend

He says He will make a sharp threshing sledge of them.

 3. What command does he give His servant in verse 10? What promise?
"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10
His command: Fear not. Be not dismayed.
Promise:  I will strengthen you,  help you, uphold you.

 4. What is the Lord's challenge to the nations' idols (vv 21-24)?

Set forth your case.  Let the nations bring the idols and have them tell us what has happen and what will happen. (v 22)

Day Two: Read Isaiah 42 

1. List some characteristics which the Servant of Isaiah 42:1-7 has in common with the Branch of Isaiah 11:1-4.

Shared qualities of Isaiah's Servant in Isaiah 11 and Isaiah 42:

His Spirit
*I have put my Spirit upon Him. Isaiah 42:1
Isaiah 11: 4--The Spirit of the Lord will rest upon Him.

His justice, His faithfulness
*He will faithfully bring forth justice to the nations.  Isaiah 42:1, 3
He will judge with an intuitive righteousness. Isaiah 11:3-4
Faithfulness will be the belt of His loins. Isaiah 11:5


Other qualities of Isaiah's Servant in Isaiah 42:
Whom I uphold
My chosen
In whom my soul delights
He will not cry aloud.
A bruised reed, He will not break.
I [God] have called you in righteousness.
I [God] will give you as a covenant for the people.
A light for the nations
to open the eyes of the blind.
bring the prisoners out of the dungeon
from the prison, those who sit in darkness.

 a. Is this the same servant mentioned in Isaiah 41: 8?  No

 b. If not, who is this Servant? The Messiah, Christ

 2. What will be the mission of the Servant (verses 4-7)?  See qualities above in question #1


 3. Considering God's challenge to the idols in Isaiah 41:21-24, what is He saying in Isaiah 42:8,9?


In contrast to the idols who cannot tell the past or future, He is the proof, able to set forth His case and abilities, to tell the future and past, fully able to fulfill all His promises.

"I am the LORD; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols. Behold, the former things have come to pass, and new things I now declare; before they spring forth I tell you of them.”  Isaiah 42:8-9

4. Who is called to sing the "New Song?"

From BKC:
People everywhere (in the ends of earth), should sing this song of praise to the Lord. These should include (a) people who make their living by sea commerce, (b) those who live in the islands and (c) those in the desert regions and towns. Kedar is an area in Northern Arabia, and Sela was a city in Edom. People everywhere should sing and shout to the Lord because of His victory over His enemies at the Messiah’s second coming.



Comments