Isaiah, Week 9, Day Three, Isaiah 43-44:23

Day Three: Read Isaiah 43; 44:1-23

1. To what events is the Lord referring in Isaiah 43:2? (See Exodus 14; Joshua 3; Daniel 3)
The textual parentheses refer to the exodus from Egypt, the Israelites' crossing of the Jordan as they entered the promised land, and Daniel's persecution in the fiery furnace.  To me it seems that the Lord is speaking here more generally of persecutions and trials that His people must endure in the future, "When you go...."

2. What does the Lord promise His people in Isaiah 44:3,4? Has this promise been fulfilled?


He will pour out His Spirit on Israel's descendants and bless their children.  I'd say it's been fulfilled in part.  The promise has been extended beyond Israel to all who believe in Christ, but it has not been fully realized, especially among the Jews.

3. From Isaiah 43 and 44:1-23, in what verses does God say He is God, Creator, LORD, Savior, Rock, Redeemer, King, Holy One of Israel? In what verse(s) does He say He is the only one?

Creator:
Isa 43:1  But now, O Jacob, listen to the LORD who created you. O Israel, the One who formed you says, "Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are Mine.
Isa 43:7  everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.” 
Isa 43:15  I am the LORD, your Holy One, Israel's Creator and King
Isa 44:2  Thus says the LORD who made you, who formed you from the womb and will help you
Isa 44:24  Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, who formed you from the womb: “I am the LORD, who made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who spread out the earth by myself, 

Lord and Savior:
Isa 43:3  For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.
Isa 43:11  I, I am the LORD, and besides me there is no savior. 

Rock
Isa 44:8  Fear not, nor be afraid; have I not told you from of old and declared it? And you are my witnesses! Is there a God besides me? There is no Rock; I know not any.” 

Redeemer
Isa 43:14  This is what the LORD says—your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:
Isa 44:22  I have blotted out your transgressions like a cloud and your sins like mist; return to me, for I have redeemed you.
Isa 44:24  Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, who formed you from the womb: “I am the LORD, who made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who spread out the earth by myself, 

King
Isa 43:15  I am the LORD, your Holy One, Israel's Creator and King

Holy One of Israel:
Isa 43:3  For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.


The only One:
Isa 43:10 Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me. 
Isa 43:11  I, I am the LORD, and besides me there is no savior. 
Isa 43:12  First I predicted your rescue, then I saved you and proclaimed it to the world. No foreign god has ever done this. You are witnesses that I am the only God," says the LORD. 
Isa 44:6  Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: “I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god. 
Isa 44:8  Fear not, nor be afraid; have I not told you from of old and declared it? And you are my witnesses! Is there a God besides me? There is no Rock; I know not any.” 
Isa 44:24  Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, who formed you from the womb: “I am the LORD, who made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who spread out the earth by myself, 

Comments