March 11, Psalms 25

The psalms, especially David's, anchor me. When my mind threatens to pull and dart away to dark places, David's focus pulls me back.  It's as if he said to his soul---"lets get a few things straight"--tough love from David.

"To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul." Psalm 25:1

To me this means not giving preference or firsts to other events, news, ideologies, perceptions, people, desires, gods in their many faces...first take your soul to God.

"Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You are the God of my salvation; On You I wait all the day."  -Psalm 25:5

What is the difference between "Your truth" and truth? A matter of perception?  I've witnessed many false truths, some of my own making.  My understanding of the scriptures, of God, and of His truth shifts through study of the scriptures, experiences, conversations, and time.  His truth is not inherently my truth--Lord, close the gap.  I love that we can be lead in His truth, that we are teachable, that He longs to teach us.

"Remember, O LORD, Your tender mercies and Your lovingkindnesses, For they are from of old." Psalm 25:5-6

Sin is old. My screw-ups are numerous. But His tender mercies and lovingkindness are even older.  They go back and back and back...

"Do not remember the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions; According to Your mercy remember me, For Your goodness' sake, O LORD." Psalm 25:7

I feel David's compassion for himself and for me.  He felt these disparate pieces of himself too---who he was when he was young, when he screwed up, the hot mess of his life unfolding, to his regret, to his renewed desire to seek God amid the wreckage.  Again, the Anchor: "According to Your mercy..."

"Who is the man that fears the LORD? Him shall He teach in the way He chooses." Psalm 25:12

Different people, different methods of teaching.  His choice.

"My eyes are ever toward the LORD...." Psalm 25:15

Ever toward, focus on God--not me--not my untrustworthy understanding. His teaching. His truth. His face.

Comments