A Most Wicked Exchange, Luke 22:6-71

It's human to prefer some parts of the scriptures more than others.  Christ's arrest, trial, and execution are the worst, revealing the bottom of the pit of humanity and the "religious" establishment.

Reading this section of Luke 22:63-71, Jesus knows that they are merely going through the motions.  He reveals this when he states, "If I tell you, ye will not believe: And if I also ask you, ye will not answer me, nor let me go."  There is no win to be had in the immediate and he knows it.

However, in the discouraging corners of my spirt, I also need to hear the end of his remark as emphatically: "Hereafter shall the Son of man sit on the right hand of the power of God."

And yes, they willfully misunderstand his words--these very words--and use them to condemn him in the immediate, 

Then said they all, "Art thou then the Son of God?" 

And he said unto them, "Ye say that I am."

And they said, "What need we any further witness? for we ourselves have heard of his own mouth."

Jesus allowed himself to become a soundbite for us in that moment. 

But the immediacy of man's wicked nature and plans does not nullify the overarching, unchangeable goodness of God. 

Comments