Coming in a Cloud, Luke 21:27

"Then they will see THE SON OF MAN COMING IN A CLOUD with [transcendent, overwhelming] power [subduing the nations] and with great glory [Dan_7:13-14]."   Luke 21:27 Amplified Bible

How long would I have to sit with this part of today's passage (Luke 21:20-28) to begin to make even the slightest sense of it? As a well-read and well-preached Christian, the words are familiar enough to pass by and not marvel.  But if I had a friend who was a Jehovah's Witness, or any other cult for that matter, who introduced this image as their understanding of truth, it would confirm my belief that they're off balance.

So am I off balanced to follow this set of scriptures? To believe this could really happen? To just drink my coffee and accept alongside the current news of today that "the Son of Man'" will come in a cloud?  A cloud---really??

When I was younger, I was a strict naturalist in the sense that I was suspicious of emotionally driven people that are led away by romantic notions of fairies, spirits, miracles. I figured out early on that these were the same people who were undependable, had trouble managing their more practical lives.  Looking back, I think this strict naturalism (maybe empiricism is a more precise word) was a barrier to faith.

Artist: Adam Thomas, "A New Hope,"  All rights reserved. 
Check out his amazing cloud artwork here.


If I'm honest with myself, it can still be a barrier at times, as I still have an inherit suspicion of people that are too free with their beliefs and too quick to call an exception a miracle. I inherently dislike people who manipulate the truth to suit their preferences and tastes.

But, I've also learned to become more comfortable--not entirely comfortable---but more comfortable, with the grey, the mysterious, the "seeing in a glass darkly" aspects of this life. I love Hamlet's observation that, " There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy" (Hamlet, Act I, scene v).

A God, the God, the only God, who comprises a trinity, a Spirit, yet man, yet God, yet equal and same---coming back to this earth---and on a cloud.  How am I to sip my coffee, make little of it, accept it, and move on?

At very least, I should be as the shepherds when He came the first time and the angels appeared.

What is it about us humans?  We'd rather wake up slowly, sit with the sheep, remain and retain the familiar.  At what risk of loss?  At risk of loss for either a delusion OR something so majestic, unexpected, and unfathomably greater that it would blow up our box of what is and lead us out of ourselves, our chains, our limits, our brokenness. 

Comments