The Prophets: Joel

 I'm trying to find the correct chronological path into the prophets this week, just having finished a long season in Kings and Chronicles.  Somehow I was expecting more chronological clarity that I'm finding.  On the internet, you'll find a host of different dates and orders.

I'm weary of this type of fine print after sifting all the kings of Israel and Judah---so many J's, Jeroboams and name changes to keep up with.  Desiring to move forward before I despair too much, I'm starting with Joel.

The Morningstar Christian Chapel Archives has no messages directly connected to the book of Joel, nor does this blog. At three chapters, it's a wisp of a prophecy, and I'll do my best to lay out some guidance and understanding here--to keep me straight primarily.

Joel:

What I learned from Intro to "The Book of Joel" Christopher Scott

Historical context: 5 major prophets, 12 minor

722 BC Northern Kingdom of Israel conquered by Assyria

Three waves of Babylonian invasion, 586 BC is last wave.

Persians conquer Babylonians, Cyrus of Persia allows Jews back 

538 BC Zerubbabel  

458 BC Ezra 7-10

444 BC Nehemiah

**********************************

Author:  Joel, father was from Judah, the South, writing to Judah

Audience:

Date: Two main ones

835-796 BC Weirsby

516 BC C. Hassell Bullock, Chisolm

Outline

Chapter 1: The Immediate Day of the Lord

Chapter 2: The Immanent Day of the Lord

The Ultimate Day of the Lord Chapter 2:28-end

Key Verse: Chapter 2:12-13  tear your hearts not your clothing

Key Theme: Day of the Lord

************************************

I just went ahead and ordered: An Introduction to the Old Testament Prophetic Books by C. Hassell Bullock.  He was recommended in Christopher Scott's video, and this book looks scholarly but readable, a good way to anchor my studies of the prophets.

Bullock was a professor at Wheaton before retiring and seems to have solid credentials.  More once I get the book.

As Bullock dates Joel much later, I may pause and begin to read his introduction from this book on Google books until the book arrives.

**************************************


Comments