Bible Commentaries

I'm curious to learn more about the Bible commentaries I use.  My favorites from past and present are 

1) Bible Knowledge Commentary--gives context, solid, most helpful utilitarian one, my "go to"

1) (tied) TSK Cross Reference/Vincent's Word Studies--although not true commentaries, they allow me to "check" this Bible against itself. Gold.

2) Alexander MacLaren (wordy but beautiful)

3) Matthew Henry--he's really behind Biblical Illustrator now in terms of use---I went to him heavily for years, also wordy and beautiful, but I haven't used him as much in recent years, voluminous

4) Biblical Illustrator--a sort of mash up of his favorites, many older, sometimes beautiful, often too wordy

Ones I try but all get mixed up in my mind.....trying to learn more and sort them out:

JFB---This one volume commentary was prepared by Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset and David Brown and published in 1871.  Amazon:

With its scholarly insights, Jamieson, Fausset and Brown's Commentary is to verse-by-verse exposition what the venerable Matthew Henry's Commentary is to devotional-style commentaries

who hear the word of God and do it." 


Comments