King David

I'm still on my "Bible in a Year" plan although I'm falling behind. I like the push of a plan, but my goal is contemplation, understanding, transformation, not speed.

This time through King David's narrative, I've been intrigued with the brutal nature of his culture.

I'm impressed by his just, even-handedness in dealing with other nations, but also by his equally quick retribution.

He spares Saul because he respect the government of God. His best friend is one of Saul's sons and after Saul and Jonathan's death, he honors the relationship through his care of Methiposheth.

He marries repeatedly, a custom of the culture but not of God.  This gives me pause when considering all of the sexual expressions of our current society--sex outside of marriage, cohabitation without marriage, homosexuality, bisexuality, remarriage, the list goes on. My quick thought is to leave judgement to God and get on with more productive ways of serving and loving. I know it's more complicated than that, but it feels like step one.

And, outside of the multiple marriages, David is getting ready to meet Bathsheba.  So he'll soon add adultery of another man's wife and premeditated murder to his list. Yet, David was also repentant--humble--took his hits when he knew they were due.

Like every person, David disappoints. We want a hero, and yes, we get that in areas. But we also get a real man, imperfect, vulnerable to sin, fatigue, the flesh, and time. It gives me great hope and comfort.

It's also one of the aspects of scripture that I love and find reassuring--these are not "pretty" narratives cleaned up for audiences.  They are a log and narrative that reads like life.

Character Studies:

Absalom
Weighs his hair
no flaw from head to toe



Comments