Section 121--Part VIII (John 14:25-31)

These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. 
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. 
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. 
Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. 
And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe. 
Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me. 
But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence. -John 14:25-31





















It's good to remember the context of the verses---indeed, if they were spoken specifically to the disciples in this context, is it fair to apply all of them to our walks?

"The Spirit, Jesus said, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. This verse is addressed to the apostles. The context limits the “all things” to the interpretation and significance of His person and work. The Spirit worked in their minds, reminding them of His teaching and giving them insight into its meaning." -BKC

I think it is fair to apply this verse to us and many others.  We are the continuation of his work as his disciples. Jesus says that the Holy Spirit will "teach you all things," and "bring to your remembrance."   The Holy Spirit is a teacher---high high high vocation if the Holy Spirit is associated with it for sure.  God puts a personal teacher inside us that teaches us continually.  Profound.

for my Father is greater than I. v28

This is not a contradiction to the unity of the trinity.  BKC explains it this way:

"The Father and the Son share the same essence (cf. Joh_1:1-2; Joh_14:9; Joh_20:28). The Father and the Son are “One” in purpose and essence (Joh_10:30). Thus the Father is greater in office or glory than the Son was in His humiliation." -BKC

"I'm leaving you well and whole. That's my parting gift to you. Peace. I don't leave you the way you're used to being left—feeling abandoned, bereft. So don't be upset. Don't be distraught." -John 14:27 The Message

What kind of "peace" is Christ referring to here---He is leaving them, yet he declares he is leaving them whole and well.  After these events, the disciples were in crisis and shaken up for quite a long time.  His words speak against the type of fear, the distress, that could and would set in.  Jesus knew their anxiety and spoke against it. -Source?

"As health implies that all the laws which regulate bodily life are being observed, and as it is disturbed by the infringement of any one of these, so peace of mind implies that in the spiritual life all is as it should be." Believer's Bible

"Jesus further defines the peace which He was leaving to the disciples as that peace which He had Himself enjoyed: "My peace I give unto you,"--as one hands over a possession he has himself tested, the shield or helmet that has served him in battle. "That which has protected Me in a thousand fights I make over to you." The peace which Christ desires His disciples to enjoy is that which characterised Himself; the same serenity in danger, the same equanimity in troublous circumstances, the same freedom from anxiety about results, the same speedy recovery of composure after anything which for a moment ruffled the calm surface of His demeanour. This is what He makes over to His people; this is what He makes possible to all who serve Him." -Believer's Bible

He did not ask what he did not model:

"Jesus further defines the peace which He was leaving to the disciples as that peace which He had Himself enjoyed: "My peace I give unto you,"--as one hands over a possession he has himself tested, the shield or helmet that has served him in battle. "That which has protected Me in a thousand fights I make over to you." The peace which Christ desires His disciples to enjoy is that which characterised Himself; the same serenity in danger, the same equanimity in troublous circumstances, the same freedom from anxiety about results, the same speedy recovery of composure after anything which for a moment ruffled the calm surface of His demeanour. This is what He makes over to His people; this is what He makes possible to all who serve Him." -Expositor's Bible

“We will… make our abode.” That word abode is the same Greek word as is rendered mansions in the former part of this chapter. God prepares a mansion for those who believe in Christ, and asks in return that we shall prepare our hearts as guest chambers for Him to dwell in. -FB Meyer

Comments