Catechism Q#1

Hello,
The catechism came to my mind this morning. I never learned it as a child----it's a very old school concept, and, like many things, can be just a mindless activity that does not touch your spirit. BUT, I think of it also as touchstones--these are the things that most Christians believe about God, based on the Bible. It's good to have these kind of touchstones in our minds and hearts--that we can articulate what we believe and base this on scripture, not our present feelings, the trends of the present cultures (secular or church) or what we've heard from others. 

The first one below is seems overly simple, but it's incredibly foundational. Your purpose in life is not to glorify yourself or others. It's not to be happy necessarily or have a good job. It's to glorify Him and enjoy Him forever. Don't breeze over that---ponder it. It's a huge concept. What does it really mean to glorify God? To enjoy Him? What does that look like in practical ways?
I am reading John 12 right now, and Jesus makes some interesting remarks in his last public speech:

“Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? But for this purpose I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name.” Then a voice came from heaven: “I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.” -John 12: 27-28

When my father died in a hospital room in Charlotte in 1999, I was holding his hand and singing the only Christian song that came to my mind at the time...a bit of it is,

"Father, we love you
we praise you and adore you,
glorify your name in all the earth.
glorify your name,
glorify your name,
glorify your name in all the earth."

It seemed like an odd choice then--the thought that my father's earthly suffering and death would somehow glorify God.  Also, it didn't feel like a particularly comforting song to sing to him.  Over the years though, I've been thankful for the choice.  It's solid.  It's true.  God used Jesus' death before my father's, and if our chief purpose is to glorify and enjoy God forever, then that was an excellent and appropriate prayer for my father too.

Heavy I know, but true and important.

xoxo 

Mom

Westminster Shorter Catechism 
Question 1

Q: What is the chief end of man? 
A: Man's chief end is to glorify God,1 and to enjoy him forever.2

related scriptures:
1 Corinthians 10:31. Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

 Romans 11:36. For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.

Psalm 73:24-26. Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.


John 17:22, 24. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one... Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

Comments