Psalm 23

It's a shame that certain passages become enmeshed with specific occasions--1 Corinthians 13 with marriages and Psalm 23 with funerals.  I can't read this psalm without hearing that strong echo, "Yeah though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil."  The valley is just one piece of it though.

The overarching promise of this psalm is God's provision--the table before our enemies, the anointing of oil, the mercy and goodness following us all the days of our life. God is there for us, not just sustaining, but blessing in abundant ways.

I like Matthew Henry here too:
More is implied than is expressed, not only, I shall not want, but, “I shall be supplied with whatever I need; and, if I have not every thing I desire, I may conclude it is either not fit for me or not good for me or I shall have it in due time.” -Matthew Henry
Life can be long and wide---everything in time but not everything at once is good to remember.  To be thankful, to have a grateful heart, to recognize the oil and rest at the table.


Comments