Isaiah Week 2, Days 3 & 4: Isaiah 5: 24-30

Day 3-Isaiah 5:24-25

1. The first word is "therefore," and it anticipates a consequence.  Verse 24 explains that "So their root will be as rottenness...."

2.  The root is "because they have rejected the law of the Lord."

3. John 8:28-29, This compares to Jesus as "I do nothing of myself but as the Father has taught me...for I always do the things that please Him."

John 14:30-31, "but that the world would know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so do I."


Hebrews 10:5-10  First Paul notes that in sacrifices and offerings for sin, the Lord had no pleasure.  But the Son's mission was different, "I come to do thy will, O God."

In comparison, by default, I do thing that please and benefit me.  I have to push myself toward the higher goal of pleasing Him.  It's not my default. If I'm honest, sometimes I succeed, but often I fail.

I am impressed by how clear sighted Christ always is/was---He knew his mission and although disliked the path he had to walk at times, stuck to the mission without exception.  He also saw others through this clear lens--not what they were in worldly terms, but in terms of the state of their heart.
Although he was empathetic to their worldly concerns, he never confused them in weight with eternal concerns.

4.  According to Amos 1:1, the disaster in store for them is an earthquake.  Zechariah 14:5 predicts they will run to the mountains.

Day 4--Isaiah 5:26-30

1. He stretched His hand out and struck them, the mountains quaked, and corpses lined the streets like refuse (v. 25).  He will send Assyria as an instrument of judgement against Judah.  Assyria will take spoils and tread them down "mire in the streets" (Isaiah 10:5-6).

2. The picture of His judgement in Isaiah 5:20 is that of a Lion (Assyria?) pouncing on his victim with no one to help.

Comments