Listening


Jeppe Hein, Semicircular Mirror Labyrinth II (2013), installed at Ordrupgaard, Charlottenlund, Denmark

For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like.  James 1:23-24

Listening is a notoriously neglected skill.  We know we should listen.  We admire the concept in abstract.  Yet, how often in a conversation are we already forming our reply amid their thoughts?

Listening requires that I park my thoughts, not just let them idle.  There must be room and space enough to let another's thoughts breathe.  We give grand space to our own thoughts--room upon room.  Then we eke out a corner for another's.

Admittedly, I am quick to believe that I know their thoughts already, or at least the gist of them.  But do I?  How could I?  If I stop to think about the level of presumption in that simple belief, I see it for what it is--grand hubris, impatience, prejudgment.  

In James, the subject is not just anyone's thoughts, but God's thoughts as reflected in His word.  If I carry these base thoughts about men's thoughts, how much worse is it when I carelessly breeze through the Bible?

Giving reverence to God's word--letting it settle into and color my thoughts, spirit, and ultimately impact my actions--this is the ultimate goal and fruit of listening.



Comments