I've been ruminating on Psalm 16 this week--such solid images to grasp and turn back to Him in petition, pleading.  Here are some of the images I've created in this process:







        






The Psalms Project Band has a song for this psalm here.   I particularly love this bridge:

"You will not leave my soul in the grave,
You will raise me up and I'll fly away.
You did not leave Jesus in the grave.
You will raise me up and we'll fly away."


One more for good measure: here is an image from Psalm 17:5 I created after exploring the definition/sense of preserve from Psalm 16:1.

Preserve (from Strongs)
shâmar
shaw-mar'
A primitive root; properly to hedge about (as with thorns), that is, guard; generally to protect, attend to, etc.: - beware, be circumspect, take heed (to self), keep (-er, self), mark, look narrowly, observe, preserve, regard, reserve, save (self), sure, (that lay) wait (for), watch (-man)



Another use of preserve from Job:

William Blake, Job's Comforters

from Spurgeon's Treasury of David:

“Preserve me,” keep, or save me, or as Horsley thinks, “guard me,” even as bodyguards surround their monarch, or as shepherds protect their flocks. Tempted in all points like as we are, the manhood of Jesus needed to be preserved from the power of evil; and though in itself pure, the Lord Jesus did not confide in that purity of nature, but as an example to his followers, looked to the Lord, his God, for preservation. One of the great names of God is “the Preserver of men,” (Job_7:20), and this gracious office the Father exercised towards our Mediator and Representative. It had been promised to the Lord Jesus in express word.

from the Biblical Illustrator:

The Psalmist will be “preserved”; he will not only be created. There is a cold deism which says, “Having been created, that is enough; the rest belongs to myself; I must attend to the details of life; creation may have been a Divine act, but all education, culture, “progress, preservation must fall under my own personal care..... It is, then, not enough to have been created; even that Divine act becomes deteriorated and spoiled, impoverished, utterly depleted of all ennobling purpose and inspiration, unless it be followed by continual husbandry or shepherdliness, nursing or culture—for the figure admits of every variety of change; the end being growth, strength, fruitfulness. (Joseph Parker, D. D.)

This sense of continual trust and growth in God seems right---much greater than believing that a God set our lives in motion--is the truth that He preserves us each day, continually.  Also that His preservation is so much greater than sparing us from harm but growing us up in Him. 

Comments