Section 103

Section 103
ZACCHÆUS
PARABLE OF THE POUNDS
JOURNEY TO JERUSALEM
(Jericho)
LUKE 19:1-28

Zaccheus

Bartimaeus was outside the gates of Jericho and Zacchaeus is inside them.  One was physically poor and handicapped.  The other, an outcast socially.  Both respond instinctively and quickly; Bartimaeus throws off his outer garment and Zacchaeus makes haste:

"And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up, and said unto him, Zacchaeus, make haste, and come down; for to-day I must abide at thy house."

"This is the only instance where Jesus invited himself to be any man's guest." -Fourfold

"And he made haste, and came down, and received him joyfully." Luke 19:6

Parable of the Pounds

The context of this parable is stated upfront---Jesus was on his way to Jerusalem and wished to correct his audience's understanding that His kingdom was eminent and earthly.  Was this parable told to the larger crowd or the disciples?  It's not clear from my reading.  I need to be honest with what I understand and what I don't because their truths bear upon eternal matters.  If I'm reading a "story" that's one thing.  Reading in light of God's plans and intentions is another.

If I had my preference (as if this even matters), I would have the servant who was given 10 pounds as unfaithful; this seems a clearer reversal to me.  However, it's the one who only had one pound who hid it in fear of his master.  The servant relates, "
for I was afraid of you, because you are a severe man. You take what you did not deposit, and reap what you did not sow.’"   

"You take what you did not deposit"  and "you are a severe man" sounds incriminating and inconsistent with God's character.  I know that parables cannot be stretched too precisely, but it bothers me.  The master repeats the accusation and suggests the servant could at least put it in the bank to earn interest (Luke 19:23).  He takes the one minas and gives it to the servant with ten, despite other servants protesting. Christ says that those who are faithful with what they have been given (apparently whether little or much) will receive more.  More sobering, he comments that the master ordered that the rebellious subjects who didn't want the master to rule over them be brought to him for slaughter (v 27).

All of this precedes the chapter of the triumphal entry in Luke.  I can't help feel it's not triumphal but sad---Jesus' time on earth intensifying and culminating in abuse and alienation.

Another interesting observation:
"In other words, Jesus is telling us that the reward for good work is more work." -Jon Courson



Comments