From now until early August


Last post, I mentioned  I was in-between studies.  After finishing a four-year chronological journey through the scriptures, I was understandably ready for something fresh, different.

The result?  I've decided to undertake Beth Moore's most recent Bible study of 2 Timothy, Entrusted

A few confessions...

I confess I'm not a WOMEN's  Bible study fan.  There are eight dozen other things that I'd rather do than sit around with a group of women wandering through scripture.  Sorry, but it's true.  Groups of women set me on edge at times. I prefer a few men in the group if I'm going to be in a group. All of one gender feels too artificial for me.

Also, sitting around with a group of people--Christian or not, women or men, means that there will be gobs of tangential sharing and rabbit trails. With a women-only group, there will be even more emotional venting and such.  There is a piece of me that wishes I understood that culture and enjoyed the outpouring in such a group.  But, I'm a very linear person and a private person.  I never fully relax or thrive in this type of environment.

I confess I'm also not a women's BIBLE STUDY fan.  Often what passes for "Bible Study" is watered-down wallowing in feelings, the sharing of the minutia of participants' lives--typically a few whiners and oral processors dominate the landscape while the rest of us politely take it all in. The emphasis ends up to be life sharing and commiserating, which admittedly has its place.  But, I believe this is different than Bible study and even different than life-application of Bible study.  It feels too much like pseudo group therapy.

When I study the Bible, I prefer to think about the scriptures themselves--not as a jumping off point for my life venting,  but as a legitimate area to rest and ponder all of themselves.  I think about the translation, the language, the word choice, historical context, the spiritual principles....  Sometimes that means thinking about me personally but not always.  It certainly doesn't mandate that I must listen to all these life stories and sit in a group of any kind.  It also doesn't require that I answer vague self-reflecting questions or that I must endure watered-down study.  Thank God.

I do like Beth Moore's studies more than most though.  Why?  What's different?

1. The content is solid.  She doesn't waste my time with pointless tasks or vague side trips.  She knows where we are headed and takes us there systematically point-by-point.  If there is a rabbit trail, I've learned it will reconnect to the main path and that there was a reason for the seeming detour.

2. She is earnest and following hard after God.  Admittedly, she's an intense speaker.  My girlfriend won't take her studies because she finds Moore's style too aggressive, her eyes too piercing. Sometimes I feel that way too.   But, I move beyond that because Moore is also sincere and zealous for the best of God and the best of us for God.  Those are two qualities I will gladly take all day long and overlook others.

3.  I liked this particular study because it's new (feels fresh), and the videos are available on-line (no dumb group viewings) for the next six weeks.  My plan is to work one of the 6 sessions every 10 days, finishing the study in early August.  Although it is designed for 5 days and one day of viewing each session, I find her lessons so meaty that I would prefer not to rush them.   10 days gives some breathing room.

I just finished Day 1's lesson after three days time.  So far, so good.  Today she's had me think about who Paul was as a person in a deeper way than I have in a long time.  I appreciate this sentiment:

"...rescue us from thinking complicated thoughts of ourselves while making mannequins of the mortals in Scripture."  p.20

In her daughter Melissa's comments on reading scripture, I found myself agreeing with this assessment of our culture:

"These days we are always reading words--scrolling Twitter, reading emails, text messages, and the pretty Instagram quotes.  We want quick inspiration.  Reading Scripture, however, is slower, quieter work.  It takes time, patience, and attention...."  p. 22

Finally, it's worth idling on this quote from N.T. Wright:

"[Scripture] is one of the points where heaven and earth overlap and interlock."

It's why I push myself to stay in the Word.  It's why I carve out time most every morning.

Comments