Hosea--Neither, Nor, Nor...

In chapter 4, The Lord's complaint against the Northern Kingdom is three-fold:

1. Neither faithfulness (KJ--truth)
2. Nor loyalty (KJ--mercy, ESV--steadfast love, NLT--kindness)
3. Nor do they acknowledge the Lord (knowledge of God)

No one likes doom and gloom, thus my impulse is to "get through" the prophets, as if they were a desert in marathon race.  However, my second impulse is that these three disappointments aren't complaints that I should rush by.

He desires faithfulness.  Loyalty.   Acknowledgement.  

His specific complaints were:
*don't keep your vows
*commit adultery
*steal
*kill
*lying
*violence

The result:

even the land will mourn and its inhabitants

Hos 4:6  My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge; because you have rejected knowledge, I reject you from being a priest to me. And since you have forgotten the law of your God, I also will forget your children.


Comments